Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

5 day checkup

At 5 days old, we had to go see the pediatrician. Apparently their policy is to see the baby at 3-5 days if they don't get to see them in the hospital. Since we were only in the birthing center for 6 hours, they didn't see us.

I'm always amazed at how clueless the nurses at the pediatrician's office seem. Of course, they probably deal with a lot of clueless parents, but sheesh. I had to fill out two forms with names, family, history, etc. When we got into the room, she asked me many of the same questions as I had already answered. On top of that, she had to ask if I had a c-section or vaginal birth when I told her it was at the birthing center - uh? When I said I was exclusively breastfeeding, she asked about supplementing with formula. It went on like that. Chrys and I exchanged a few awkward glances, but none moreso than after the c-section question.

She also asked how much he slept - I said most of the day and she asked how many hours. I told her I really didn't keep track of the total number of hours each day he slept. She seemed surprised. He sleeps. My first one didn't. I am not going to question or analyze this any further. She'll live.

Corin weighed in at 8lbs12oz (actually 12.8, but they wouldn't go to 13oz). She said he looked a bit jaundiced, but she was sure that would clear up. She wanted me to wake him up every 3 hours to eat (after I mentioned that I'd gotten a 5 hour stretch the night before - bliss) until I mentioned that he was 8lbs6oz on Friday. I also reiterated that he had been cluster feeding (once an hour for 3-4 hours) up to that point. I was told I could let him sleep.

Now, if we could just finish clearing up the difference between days and nights.

No comments: